CASE STUDIESRecognizing LMS Opportunity for Iqaluit Airport
Harper Learning brought organization and convenience to Nunavut Airport Services Limited through a learning management system.
Nunavut Airport Services Limited (NASL) approached Harper Learning to learn more about our Assisting Guests with Disabilities brandable training program we developed for airports across Canada. NASL needed to meet the new Accessible Transportation for Persons with Disabilities Regulations (ATPDR) as well as develop an efficient way to share this new training with their staff.
Once we began working with them, we recognized their need for a Learning Management System (LMS), and began brainstorming a solution that would meet their current and future needs.
As a small airport, NASL had limited online training. Their existing system required an admin to track all employee training and results manually on a spreadsheet. It immediately became apparent that an LMS would automate many of NASL’s processes and grow their training offerings.
They needed a cost effective solution that would meet their current need (to house the new course) and future needs when they added additional training and functionality to their system. It was time to dive in and do the research.
Fortunately, we excel at finding a solution that meets our clients needs. We have extensive experience working with clients to identify their short and long term learning and development goals, their requirements for a tracking and reporting system, and ways to use an LMS’s functionality to go beyond issuing a course to users and tracking completion.
To select the perfect LMS for NASL’s needs, we:
- Identified their requirements for an LMS including an analysis of current and future learning needs (to ensure the system would work in the future)
- Researched options that met their requirements and optional requests
- Noted additional functionality that could benefit NASL in the future based on their vision for where they will be going with learning and development initiatives
- Wrote a comprehensive report detailing the top LMS top contenders and each LMS platform’s scores
- Presented our findings and helped NASL make their final decision
- Worked with NASL and the LMS vendor to implement the solution
- Provided LMS training to the NASL team and trainer/administrator
Within weeks, NASL went from having no ability to offer online training to offering an established, ATPDR-approved course with an LMS platform that they are now able to use to offer more training to their employees and tenants. For the course that started this whole process, we developed an in-depth online program and companion video to teach employees how to assist customers with disabilities from the curbside to counter at the airport.
NASL is currently moving forward with multiple other training initiatives that will enhance the skills and performance of their employees and tenants in their roles.